Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hexmapped Again

This is another demo map created using the Fudge-dice table system I'm working on. I did this one a bit differently, using an alternate 'rule' for the map processing. If you've read the previous articles in this collection, you know there are several terrain tables that are sorted in numeric order. Each hex you generate is marked up with terrain and a table number. When generating a new hex, you use the lowest numbered table marked in the already generated surrounding hexes. Table I is a random table.

For this map I divided the area into three zones, simulating hexes on a larger scale map. The west half of the map was considered a Plains hex, the north-east quadrant Mountains, and the south-east quadrant Forest. The alternate rule states that any Table I hex is marked as such, but any Table I roll is generated using the large-scale hex terrain instead. Since Table I is the lowest number hex, it tends to get rolled quite often, and normally creates random change in the map. Using the alternate rule, it tends to generate more terrain like the  owner-hex. Here are the results.
Click to Enlarge
As you can see, the terrain sort-of matches up with the owner-hex, though not perfectly. In part I think I'm seeing some weakness in the Excel random number generator, or it could just be luck of the dice. You may also notice there are quite a few more sites marked on this map. I've tweaked the probabilities of various sites, cities, ruins, and features. I didn't get much in the way of water this time, just a few minor waterways. There's only one odd terrain location though, the patch of desert ground surrounded by trees. I think that's an acceptable problem though -- obviously a wizard did it!

What are all those letters? Those are all generated sites/locations. Here's the map key:
  • A) Isolated manor
  • B) Lair
  • C) Small town
  • D) Lair
  • E) Temple
  • F) Cave
  • G) Battle site
  • H) Lair
  • I) Alien object
  • J) Tunnel / underground passage
  • K) Temple
  • L) City
  • M) Landmark / monument
  • N) Shrine
  • O) City
  • P) Rock formation
  • Q) Town
  • R) Lair
  • S) Ruin
  • T) Palisade fort
  • U) There is no U
  • V) Nor is there a V
  • W) Sinkholes
  • X) Dungeon
  • Y) Isolated house
  • Z) Outpost on an isolated hill
  • AA) Shrine
  • BA) Manor / fortified house
  • CA) Alien town
  • DA) Divine site
  • EA) Abandoned village
  • FA) Lair
  • GA) Village
  • HA) Large village
  • IA) Minor castle
  • JA) Dry lake
  • KA) Tomb
  • LA) Ruin
Apparently I can't number sites very well.

I'm still not 100% happy with roads. They're being generated via a random table, but don't connect up to towns very well without liberal aid from the user. I need to think about how to start them in towns and connect them up. I also haven't marked the various road types on this map -- the tables have entries for about ten types, ranging from hidden trails and secret tunnels through paved highways and toll roads. Drawing linear structures like rivers and roads is something random tables aren't all that good at, unfortunately.

Still, if I were sitting down to run a sandbox-style game, there would be worse places to start than this map, so I'm fairly happy with this result. For now, back to tinkering with roads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: all comments are moderated to block spammers. Please be polite.