Sunday, February 23, 2014

Major Races of the Nameless Coast

Since the last Nameless Coast post I did a bit of thinking about how to introduce population groups into the area and use these groups to drive the development of hex contents. Today I sketched out a quick table of the major races I'm going to use for this, and some broad categories to assign to these groups.




Down the left side are the various races I picked out as the major players in the area (and some may not survive the world-building -- I'm feeling very classic Traveller today). The top columns indicate the general categories of activity the groups are driven by, and the numbers indicate the relative frequency of category vs. race. The categories are:
  • Raiders - a group dedicated to finding riches and taking them by force.
  • Pirates - water based Raiders. I differentiated them to support aquatic races.
  • Outcasts - members of the race who are no longer fit for their own society for some reason.
  • Pilgrims - a group organized for religious reasons. Pilgrims probably use a second roll to determine what their actual goal is (Pilgrim Raiders for example).
  • Military - straight up military forces.
  • Merchants - groups that are mainly looking to exchange goods with other groups.
  • Nomads - groups that wander by need or desire. Roaming tribes, wandering elves, or chaotic fae.
  • Colonists - folks looking for a new place to live.
  • Exploiters - those looking for resources, prospectors, surveyors, or slavers.
I still need to lay out the various race probabilities, but that should be quick. I've also been toying with some different hex icons for the map, but I haven't found anything I like yet. I'll probably stick with the plain color scheme for now.

Edit: First pass at race probabilities in the table to the right. I think this is probably too heavily weighed to good races, so I'll probably be adjusting probabilities. It serves for now though.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I'm looking forward to seeing who will prove their dominance!

    ReplyDelete

Note: all comments are moderated to block spammers. Please be polite.