Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Some Hexing

A while back I did some work on a hex map sandbox, the Nameless Coast. I never really took it anyplace, because I kind of got lost in messing around with immigration history and population groups and how they moved into the area. I also think the area was too big, it's approximately twice the size of the state of Pennsylvania.

Anyhow, a few RPG.net posts started me thinking about hex maps again, and that led to messing around with the classic six-mile hex. From there I decided to subdivide into one mile hexes just to see where that ended up. Starting with a mountain hex, I ended up with this:

And a forest led to this:
Of course tiling these together is a bit messy, because there are overlapping partial hexes on the corners and edges. I'm not sure how I'd handle that. There's also the problem of roads and rivers crossing from hex to hex, and for a geomorph-ish approach, those are hard to do, though I guess you could standardize some cross-over points on the edges.

Anyhow, there's some random map musings.

Oh, if you're missing the Wilds updates, well, players are being disorganized, and work travel is interfering, so Monday's turn... wasn't. Soon (TM).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: all comments are moderated to block spammers. Please be polite.