I'm starting up a new play-by-email game, using Labyrinth Lord as a base rule set. The first order of business is setting up new characters, and part of that process is gearing up. Here's the starting gear setup we'll be using:
All characters start with 3d8x10 gold pieces. Each character also begins with a backpack containing two small sacks, a bedroll, a waterskin, flint and steel, a spare cloak, and ten days of trail rations. Roll 1d8 on the following list for additional gear.
1) 8 torches, 50' silk rope
2) 2 oil flasks, lantern
3) 1 scroll case, 5 parchment, ink and quill
4) 1 flask holy water
5) 3 days unpreserved rations, wineskin of good wine
6) 1 grappling hook, 50' hemp rope
7) 1 character-appropriate weapon
8) Roll twice, re-rolling this result
Pretty basic, with some pretty significant variation in value, but hey, it's going to be a somewhat old-school game, so... appropriate.