- 4 strips bacon - diced
- 2 andouille sausage links - diced
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 2 large carrots - diced
- 1 sweet pepper - diced
- 2 1/2 - 3 quarts stock
- 1 lb. dried split peas - cleaned according to package instructions
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook bacon and andouille sausage in a large stock pot over medium high heat, stirring frequently, for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add onion and continue cooking and stirring until they become translucent. Bacon should be cooked but not crispy, andouille should be nicely browned.
- Add carrots and sweet pepper and cook about one minute.
- Add stock and split peas, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to maintain.
- Simmer 30-40 minutes until peas are cooked. That's it!
- Total time: about 1 hour.
- Tastes great with a good sharp cheese and fresh bread.
- Makes about 8 good-sized servings.
I used half ham stock and half vegetable stock when I made this. My Mom gave me a couple quarts of ham stock she made using the bone from our traditional Christmas country style ham. This is effectively delicious salty liquid bacon, so I used a quart of it with a quart of vegetable stock. I added no salt, but about 3/4 tsp. black pepper.